If you decide you want to try it out make sure to travel in groups. You will come across many ‘Private Property’ signboards. It is best to ignore them as the Orange County Sheriff’s Office has notified that the whole trail is open to public. These boards are the handiwork of squatters who want people off the land.
Blackstar canyon is currently closed to public vehicles. The road is blocked by a locked gate. You can still hike or mountain bike but public motorized vehicles are prohibited. You can access Blackstar Canyon from the northern end of the Santa Ana Mountains in the Cleveland National Forest. Take Chapman Ave. (Orange) east. Chapman turns into Santiago Canyon Rd. Turn off on to Silverado Canyon Rd. and take the first left which is Black Star Canyon Rd. Park at the end of the road near the gate. The trail is a wide dirt road overlooking the chaparral canyons. At about 5.6 miles you will reach the Hidden Ranch – a well known cattle ranch. An old ranger area, Beek's Point, is at the top. While on the trail be alert for cow patties, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and bike-chasing dogs.
Maps and GPS Coordinates
Blackstar Canyon Coordinates: 33.775797° -117.676251°
- Satellite image from Google Maps, Windows Live Local, WikiMapia
- Street map from Google Maps, or Yahoo! Maps, or Windows Live Local
- Topographic map from TopoZone
- Aerial image or topographic map from TerraServer-USA
- Find nearby Geocaching locations
- Find this location with Google Earth
Conditions and Closures
It is always wise to check with the Cleveland National Forest to make sure that your trail is open.
Cleveland National Forest Contact Information
- Cleveland NF Current Conditions and Closures
- Trabuco Ranger District - (951) 736-1811
- Palomar Ranger District - (760) 788-0250
- Descanso Ranger District - (619) 445-6235
- Headquarters - (858) 673-6180