Fort Churchill to Wellington
|Map Links:||Google Map Yahoo Map|
|Satellite Map:||Google Satellite|
The byway begins at Fort Churchill, 35 miles east of Carson City. Fort Churchill was established in 1860 to protect the Pony Express mail line. In 1957, the fort became part of the Nevada State Park system. Leaving the fort, head west on Nevada State Highway 2B for 21 miles along the tree-lined Carson River to Dayton. The road follows the route of the Pony Express National Historic Trail. Turn south at Dayton and travel 29 miles through the rugged Pine Nut Mountains, climbing steeply above Eldorado Canyon and passing through the Como Mining District, and dropping down to Wellington on Hwy 208. Roads can be rough and muddy. Four-wheel drive is recommended on the Dayton to Wellington section.